Community Cuisine: Spring Recipes from TLHS

As the cold weather from winter begins to thaw and nature is in bloom, a lovely way to start spring is with some fresh recipes! Several teachers and students from the Terra Linda community shared some tasty recipes perfect for this time of year. From sweet desserts to savory meals, each of these dishes highlights flavors and ingredients that perfectly reflect the approaching spring season! 

Science teacher, Maureen Hayes, selected a fresh, veggie-filled dish, heavy on asparagus, an ingredient that is in season during Spring. This savory galette, a type of flat pastry often containing a filling, was made using ingredients from her garden. Hayes said that one aspect she enjoys about this dish is its versatility and she likes how she can use this recipe to enjoy the different vegetables she has grown throughout the year. “You don’t have to do it with asparagus, you can do it with mushrooms or something else. Whatever you have,” explains Hayes. While this recipe is easily customizable to one’s preferences,  Hayes recommends that you have some cooking practice before attempting this recipe. “I think you need more experience because you have to make a dough. But it is easier than making a pie because it doesn’t have to be a certain shape.” Hayes discovered this recipe through her friend who made one for her using mushrooms as the main ingredient and she was inspired to try her own take on it, creating this fresh recipe perfect for spring. 

English and AVID teacher, David Tow, recommended a soup with a wide range of vegetables and seasonings, as well as lemon to give it a little tang. He calls this recipe kitchen sink soup. Tow came up with this recipe by using his creative and experimental skills, getting recipes and putting them together or adding/removing things from them, “So this is a result of me looking at a recipe and making it and finding it a little boring and then trying to combine it with another recipe.” One of his favorite parts of this recipe is that it can be adapted depending on the audience and season. “Something very important to me is eating sustainably so I want it to be something that you can make at any time of year with the ingredients you have,” Tow mentioned. 

If you have more of a sweet tooth, sophomore Meadow McPherson has the perfect spring dessert for you! McPherson chose to share the recipe for a lemon yogurt cake because she believes its flavors complement the change of the season well. “I think it’s a really good spring recipe because of the flavors, the lemon, it’s very light.….it’s sweet which is something I feel like brings on spring feelings,” she said. This recipe in particular holds a special place in her heart due to the family memories it brings. McPherson recounted how, a while ago, a family friend of hers had to undergo chemotherapy treatments and was unable to bake, which was a beloved pastime of hers. “So my mom brought her this lemon cake and she raves about it still to this day. And she’s hard to impress when it comes to baking.” Originally discovered on Food Network, McPherson enjoys this recipe for its spring flavors, easiness to make, and positive memories. 

Senior Ella Carter recommends a nice fresh treat called Granita. Granita is a semi-frozen dessert that is related to sorbet and Italian ice.  Carter discovered this in an Italian restaurant which inspired her to make it at home. “I used the fruit I had at the time, and now I love this flavor of granita,” said Carter. She also mentions that this recipe is easy; it just takes time and patience. “It’s simple, delicious, and you can change up the ingredients to fit your liking,” she stated.  Something she recommends when making this recipe is to not go by measurements and to go by taste to make it right for you but that might make it difficult for some beginners. Five words Carter would use to describe this are “fresh, sweet, tart, crisp, and cool.”

Whether you’re looking for dinner or dessert, want something easy or more of a challenge, any of these recipes would be a great way to kick off the spring season. Interested in any of them? Click this link to find a full list with all of the ingredients and instructions.