5 Books to Add to Your Fall Reading List

Fall is approaching, which means it’s almost time to curl up in a fuzzy sweater, with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book. There are certain books that are perfect for fall, ranging from dark academic fantasies to cozy mysteries that’ll get you in that autumn mood. Here are five books to add to your fall reading list: 

Written by the author of the Grishaverse series, Leigh Bardugo, Ninth House is a third-person perspective fantasy novel with many elements of reality, It’s the first in the duology. It follows the main character Galaxy (Alex) Stern, as she navigates through Yale’s magical secret society and uncovers the murder of a local citizen. Terra Linda’s English teacher Mackenzie Bedford states, “[The secret society] feels like the spooky version of the Life or Death brigade”, referring to a secret society in the TV show Gilmore Girls. It may look intimidating, however, once the pace picks up, it draws you into this world of covert magical associations. Bedford guarantees, “If you think you’ve read this before, I don’t think you have.”

Gallant is a fast-paced fantasy and horror standalone novel by V.E. Schwab. TL Junior Maddie Pang sums up the vibes of Gallant in three words, “Mysterious, Spooky, and Gothic”. It follows the story of an orphaned teen, Olivia Prior. Being mute and having the ability to see ghosts, she’s bullied in the orphanage until she is summoned to Gallant, the estate of her remaining family she didn’t know existed. Pang says, “ I would recommend the book to people who are a fan of Halloween, mysterious plots, and large empty mansions that are filled with lost history.” 

When it comes to cozy mysteries, A Study in Charlotte is a must-read. The story follows the great-great-great granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes, Charlotte Holmes, James (Jamie) Watson, and great-great-great-grandson of Doctor Watson Narrated by Jamie. This book is part of the Charlotte Holmes series. TL Junior June Meadows shares, “It’s one of those mysteries where you can reread it multiple times and not be bored because you discover something new about it, but it’s also not so complicated that you don’t understand it.” After moving to a prep school in Connecticut, Jamie meets Charlotte and they band together to solve a crime in an attempt to clear their names. The novel is action-packed while also covering more heavy subjects such as drug abuse and trauma.

Mooncakes is a graphic novel featuring representation of various groups and communities such as Deaf, Asian, and Queer communities. It follows a young witch, Nova, and her werewolf childhood friend Tam, as they reconnect by uncovering ways to defeat a mysterious demon. It has heavy themes of family and found family, paired with a cutesy romance subplot. Junior, Emma Onstott, agrees, “I do think it’s a good fall read. It’s very cozy and the art and color palette are very nice, and I think that the storyline is very cute.” Mooncakes is the perfect quick read to kick off this season. The cool color palette and witchy setting will put you in the perfect fall mood.

TL Math Teacher, Melinda Borello, sums up A Darker Shade of Magic as, Dark, some chance meetings, and definitely some magic.” It’s the first of the Shades of Magic trilogy. It has a complex world, and a subtle romance subplot, and is written with an elaborate and unique magic system. It’s a third-person dual-perspective novel, with two of the main protagonists’ points of view. For Kell, being a magician, means that he travels between different realms of London acting as a messenger. In contrast, Lila is a thief and aspiring pirate from a world lacking magic. When their paths cross, they’re forced to work together as they embark on an adventure. A Darker Shade of Magic is a book you should definitely add to your reading list this fall. Borello voices, “It definitely has some fall vibes, it’s a little dark, but not super dark. It’s kind of edging you into darkness, just like fall.”

All of the books above have some undeniable fall energy. Reading is a perfect way to get into the spirit of the season, and these books are all options to start you off. However, before reading, do be sure to look up the trigger warnings for these books. Some of them may have dark undertones and deal with some fairly dark content as is seen with lots of Young Adult Fiction and Adult Fiction. If you’re seeking out copies of these books, TL’s very own library has these books readily available for checkout. Happy reading!