The student news site of Terra Linda High School.

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Romance Reads to Be Your Valentine

Valentine’s Day is near, and love is in the air. Romance novels can serve as lovely companions, whether you relate to the content or otherwise. With lovable characters and captivating plots, in the spirit of romance, here are three romance novels to fall head over heels in love with:

She Gets the Girl by co-authors Rachael Lippincott and Alyson Derrick is a sweet and charming queer young adult romance novel. Written from two different perspectives, it follows Molly and Alex in their journey of falling in love. In the beginning, Alex and Molly begin to spend more time together in an attempt for Alex to help Molly get her dream girl. However, as Alex and Molly’s contrasting personalities are pitted against each other, further depth is built into their relationship as they navigate college life and share experiences. Terra Linda Junior, Emma Onstott comments, “[She Gets the Girl] was definitely a comfort read for me. I think I finished it in three days, which was the fastest I had read a book in probably a year, and I haven’t read a book that fast since.” She followed this by explaining that she would most definitely recommend She Gets the Girl, especially during this season of romance.  

If you’re in the mood for a book with more intensity, set during World War I with elements of Greek mythology, Lovely War is a historical romance by Julie Berry. The story follows two couples as they navigate through the heartbreaking tragedies of war. It is told from the unique perspectives of the Greek gods and goddesses Aphrodite, Ares, Apollo, and Hades. TL Junior, Isobel Ganguly states, “It’s a great Valentine’s read; the romance is high-stakes and dramatic, and while some people may not like it, I think it’s the perfect amount of romance and plot for people to enjoy in February while eating discounted chocolates on the 15th.” The intriguing twists throughout this book make for great company this Valentine’s.

Similar to the lighthearted She Gets the Girl, Ann Liang’s novel This Time It’s Real will undoubtedly leave you feeling giddy, giggling, and kicking your feet. It includes popular tropes, such as the fake dating trope. The story follows Eliza Lin as she transfers to a new school and finds her way through her senior year when she unexpectedly falls for actor Caz Song while carrying out their absurd arrangement to fake date for publicity purposes. Goodreads user Annabella writes, “This Time it’s Real is full of hope, humor, vulnerability, emotion, fluff, tension, friendship, and true love. My heart was breaking and healing all at the same time.” Enjoying the couple’s witty banter and incredible chemistry is a great way to spend your Valentine’s Day.

All three of these books are great ways to heal your heart, break it, or both simultaneously. Romance reads can create and share an infinite amount of love and comfort, which makes them especially perfect when paired with the themes of Valentine’s Day. Happy reading!