The student news site of Terra Linda High School.

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Gypsy Rose Blanchard: Accused murderer or internet star

Courtesy+of+Paramount+Pictures+
Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

Gypsy is a 32 year old woman who was recently freed from prison and gained worldwide attention on the internet. Her story unravels a tangle of manipulation, deception, and tragedy which has caught the attention of many around the world. 

Gypsy Rose was born July 27, 1991, in Louisiana Golden Meadow. She was raised by her mother Claudine “Dee Dee” Blanchard. Growing up, her mother manipulated Gypsy and convinced those around them into thinking she had many illnesses, such as sleeping problems, epilepsy, leukemia, muscular dystrophy, vision and hearing impairments, and seizures. In addition, her mother also lied about her age and said she was younger than she was. Growing up Gypsy had many procedures done and had to take many medications for these illnesses that she allegedly had. At the age of 19, She realized all her mother’s secrets when she found her real birth certificate. Later on, she came up with the plan to murder her mother with the help of her then boyfriend Nicholas “Nick” Godejohn in the year 2018. When authorities found out she was sentenced to 10 years in prison but only served 8 and was released on December 28, 2023. 

In an interview with people magazine Gypsy mentions  “Nobody will ever hear me say I’m glad [Dee Dee is] dead or I’m proud of what I did. I regret it every single day.” Gypsy is not proud of the participation she took in the murder of her mother but unfortunately, she can’t go back. Since her story became viral on the internet, she has had many movies, and TV shows made about her life, like the HBO documentary “Mommy Dead and Dearest” (2017) and Hulu mini series The Act (2019) have brought attention to Gypsy’s case.

You can find Gypsy Rose on Instagram where she has 6.5 million followers and TikTok where she has 1.5 million. Junior Raul Cervera says “She is receiving a lot of fame which is cool but it made me think and it doesn’t change the fact that she was the mastermind behind the murder of her mother.” She has gotten canceled on the internet due to shared sentiments among many like Cervera, who believe she should not be receiving such widespread attention. Gypsy mainly receives positive support comments but occasionally a few hate comments. Recently a comment she made towards her haters on her husband Ryan Anderson’s post has caught the eye of many and received 213,870 likes,“Ryan, don’t listen to the haters. I love you, and you love me. We do not owe anyone anything, our family is who matters. If you get likes and good comments great, if you get hate then whatever because THEY DON’T MATTER. I love you. Besides, they are jealous because you are rocking my world every night.”   Many people have had different opinions on it, for example, junior Lucia Brignetti, says “I think she is honestly valid!”