New Year, New Music

With the new year emerging, it’s time to reflect on the indelible mark 2023 has left on the music industry. It introduced the rise of diverse genres that have already set a new standard for music this year! With 2023’s music ending on a high note after setting a new single-year record with over 4 trillion streams, 2024 is already producing new sounds that have resonated with listeners worldwide and has already shown us fierce competition amongst artists as they strive to kick off the year with a bang through their music! 

Rapper 21 Savage wasted no time in making a significant impact with the release of his new album, American Dream, which has already been met with great success. According to Billboard 200, 21 Savage has the No. 1 album as of February 1, 2024. With captivating storytelling and hard-hitting beats, American Dream explores his aspirations to succeed in America. Including features from popular artists Travis Scott, Doja Cat, and Metro Boomin, American Dream offers a compelling listening experience to its audience. “You can tell he put a lot of emotion into this project,” says Junior, Jorge Rodas. 

On the other hand, we have a brand new release from Kali Uchis, who released her second Spanish album, Orquídeas, translating to “Orchids,” on January 12, 2024. Orquídeas is a 14-track studio album that features popular Latin artists Peso Pluma, Karol G, and Rauw Alejandro. It delivers an upbeat and unique tracklist that showcases Kali Uchis’ versatility with its blend of reggaeton, pop, and R&B influences. The album displays her incredible range and ability to captivate both English and Spanish-speaking listeners. Orquideas debuted No.1 on Billboard’s top Latin Albums and is No. 2, after 21 Savage, on the Billboard 200. According to Junior, Daniel Hernandez, “I think it’s a very creative album with lots of good sounds, different tones, and features.” 

Not only have albums been quick to drop for the new year, but singles as well! So far, many artists have already released songs, such as Jhene Aiko, Ice Spice, and Faye Webster. Though there’s a standout single that’s currently dominating the Billboard Hot 100 Chart from singer Ariana Grande. “Yes, and?” is a sweet and retro single that was released on January 12, 2024. This single is attracting a great deal of attention as Ariana has officially confirmed her seventh album will arrive later this year after being on a four-year hiatus. 

Additionally, many albums are on the radar, such as Usher’s album, Coming Home, reserved for February 9, 2024, and Jennifer Lopez’s album, This Is Me, set to be released on February 16, 2024. Another highly anticipated album, Vultures, a collaborative work by Ye and Ty Dolla $ign, is a three-part album scheduled for release on February 9, March 8, and April 5. 

With new music thriving and new releases pending, 2024 is already off to an incredible start! We’re witnessing some major hits and groundbreaking tracks just one month into the year, and it’s safe to say 2024 is shaping up to be even better than 2023. With excitement and anticipation in the air, stay alert for more to come from your favorite artists!