Athlete of the Week: Jamie Schmidt

Claudie Velazquez

Athlete of the Week Jamie Schmidt serving it up on the court.

Chloe Hu and Claudie Velazquez

Jamie Schmidt, a Terra Linda High School freshman, is in her first year of playing tennis for Terra Linda High School’s Varsity Girls team. This season, Schmidt has showcased her incredible skills, and has demonstrated she is a great addition to the team. On October 6, Terra Linda High School won against San Rafael High School with a four to three winning score. For the first set, Jamie won two out of three sets; Her stats were four out of six for the first set, six to two for the second, and 10 to seven for the tie-breaker, securing the win against her opponent! The first time she faced her opponent from San Rafael High School was on September 7, when she defeated her rival, winning the first set seven to six, losing the second, four to six but earning back the win with the third set 10 to seven. 

The Trojans lost four to three, but Schmidt still managed to win her match and lead her team the second time around. Despite Schmidt being a freshman, and her first season playing for Terra Linda High School, she is currently ranked No. 1 of 10 on her team!

Schmidt shares that her favorite part about her sport is, “Being out there and being active.” Before joining the Terra Linda High School Girls’ Tennis Team, Schmidt played one season at Jerry’s, which is a tennis club where Schmidt did private lessons. 

When it comes to tennis, Schmidt’s inspiration for playing is her dad, Tom, as he shares the same love for tennis. Schmidt shares, “They were playing it so I decided to do it, and then I didn’t really like any other sport, so I decided to focus on tennis, and then I ended up enjoying it.”

In addition to Schmidts high performance on the court, she is also an outstanding teammate. One of her teammates, Mila Harding, shares, “Jamie is such a great teammate. I’ve learned so much from her this year. She’s so supportive and kind and a great player.” 

This is only the beginning for Jamie as she will be dominating on the tennis court for the rest of her high school career!