The student news site of Terra Linda High School.

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Education Beyond Barriers: Restricting or Freeing?

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” – Stephen Hawking. 

2020 has brought many changes on our lifestyles and how we view life as a whole. What once seemed like a world of limitless possibilities has been restricted to our homes, making the world feel as if it were shrinking in size. It has been overbearing for many to adjust to this new way of life with school, jobs, groceries and leaving the house in general. All the things that once seemed normal had changed in such a way that it is not recognizable anymore. However, one of the most important changes made is how education is taught. Since the middle of March, education has been transformed drastically from being asked to lower your voice in class to being encouraged to press the unmute button from time to time. This method of education has undeniably altered the way we absorb and apply information. 

Depending on one’s learning style, online school could either be very beneficial or detrimental. 

It can be advantageous for people who want a less structured class and more flexibility though, it can also bring the opposite feeling for someone who prefers an interactive education. One of the main pros is that school can be accessible anywhere. No matter where they might be, it is both very easy and convenient to attend class. As long as the computer is connected to WiFi, people are now able to attend classes across the world if they need to. This is something that in-person education can’t offer, making it better for some students. In addition to accessibility, many teachers are more sympathetic towards the students. “I enjoy the teachers’ readiness to answer questions, extend due dates, and overall understanding of what students have to endure currently,” Senior, Milo Yoakum, explained. 

Though there are a lot of positives that come with online learning, the negatives can weigh as much as the positives. One of the main downsides to online education is that it is harder to concentrate. Since we are in an environment which is comfortable to us, it is sometimes difficult to associate it as a classroom as well. “I feel it’s hard for me to stay focussed and comfortable sitting on Zoom. I think it is because, psychologically, we feel as though school is invading our personal space by entering our personal homes and rooms through our screen,” Yoakum states. Sometimes it can feel as if the lines between school life and home life are really blurred. Besides that, though technology is a great tool for education, there is a time where too much technology can be detrimental. 

It is said that since the pandemic, the use of technology in our daily lives has skyrocketed into most of our waking hours from Zoom, to Tiktok, to homework, and on repeat. Since the revamp of our school life, social life and enjoyment are all virtual, the duration of time that is spent could leave us more exposed to bluelight. The overuse of bluelight can leave negative effects on our eyes, however bluelight blocking glasses, and turning your devices to night shift mode can help prevent it. Also, online school is not as interactive as regular school. It is evident that there seems to be not only a physical barrier but an underlying mental one. “I think that some teachers do not understand how to break that tension often found over zoom of staying muted and not knowing how to respond to certain communication the teachers offer up. I think that it’s good if teachers outline how their students should communicate over zoom before a class starts (ie. ‘If you need to go to the bathroom, privately chat me,’ ‘If I ask a question addressed to the whole class, please use the Raise Hand function on Zoom.’).” they mentioned. There is no doubt that the communication between students and teachers is a little difficult to maintain.

Overall, there are both positives and negatives reactions about online schooling. Throughout the year, we have found a new meaning behind the word education . We have learned a lot on how to improve ourselves, despite the terrible situation we are currently in. The world keeps on changing, and us alongside it. Now the education system will change again, offering a hybrid of online and in-person learning. It is something that we must learn to adapt.