The Bond

The+Bond

Jillian Hickey and Jillian Hickey

The bond measure, $72 million in funds for the San Rafael City Schools, was passed last fall. It has taken a while for the school board to divide up the money between all of the schools in the SRCS school district. These schools are  Davidson, Venetia Valley, San Rafael and Terra Linda.

After the bond passed and the district got things sorted out there were meetings among the staff and administration specifically at Terra Linda. These were in order to decide between two plans that had been written up. “It was more of a ‘here are the two plans, what do you think’ and the discussion of it was more after the fact” says teacher Alex Robins about teacher involvement in the decision.

After the decision came the process of choosing which construction company to hire and getting the plans finalized then approved by the state of California. Helping to make these preliminary decisions were three committees.  These include a citizens committee, people who are not associated with the school, a site design committee made up of parents, community members, administrators and teachers, and finally an executive bond committee of people from the county and the state. They will also keep watch over the construction as it is being completed to make sure everything goes according to plan.  

In “Phase 1”, as coined by Principal Katy Dunlap, the first thing to be done is air conditioning that is to be completed by the start of next school year. Also within Phase 1 is a brand new kitchen and cafeteria to hopefully get more kids in there during break and lunch. Lastly in Phase 1 are renovations to Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) classrooms. Moving onto Phase 2 there will be a new practice gym and the current gym will be updated. The career center will be receiving renovations as well. Finally in Phase 2 is a new music building and more classrooms above the administrative buildings.

Dunlap and Assistant Principal Rob Celli did mention that they would like to see student involvement in the renovations as well. Particularly when they are working on certain areas. When the construction is happening on the music buildings they would like to have some music students’ input and likewise when the STEAM classes are being renovated they would like a student involved in that area to be in on what is happening and how it is going. This is so that the students can adapt easily to the construction and so that everyone stays well informed.

One of the main worries among teachers is whether the project will ever be fully completed. The time table of the project is seven years long. Who knows what will happen between now and then. How our administration could change? Whether or not there will be enough money? The construction company going out of business? So many things could go wrong in that time. Answering that question, Celli explained that there are many many people involved in making this happen. There are also very strict rules for the construction company hired to complete the project. Although the timeline may have to be flexible, the administration will do everything they can to get the renovations that our school is looking forward to.

Hopefully all of these wonderful things will be completed soon. If you have any questions feel free to ask at the next community meeting. Watch for more updates on the construction in The Voice of Troy.