The student news site of Terra Linda High School.

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

Basketball Athlete of the Season: Kayla Ferraro and Grady Bowers

Courtesy of TLtrojansports and Sieon Davis

Kayla Ferraro:

Junior, Kayla Ferraro has been playing for the Terra Linda Women’s basketball program since her freshman year, exhibiting tremendous skill, leadership, and scoring ability. Beginning her Terra Linda career as a starting point guard on her freshman team, she instantly made an outstanding impact. At the conclusion of that season she was the only player within the program that was moved up to varsity for the North Coast Section playoffs (NCS), as well as the Marin County Athletic League (MCAL) playoffs. During the playoffs she instantly fit in with the Varsity dynamic, and has now been on varsity for two full seasons. 

This season, Ferraro entered into her influential role as team captain. stepping up for her team both on and off court. “When I found out I was going to be captain this year, I was really excited to take on that role, because I knew that it meant I would play a big role for my teammates no matter what the occasion. I love being able to motivate my team and just being there for them.” Ferraro comments. And her team echoes that impact. Ferraro’s teammate, Junior, Natalie Jaworski adds, “Kayla was a perfect example of what a captain is by being a strong leader, and really making sure that she was encouraging everyone, by being very vocal in plays and practices. She’s constantly pushing herself and all of her teammates to be the best versions of themselves.” 

Ferraro has started in every one of Terra Linda’s games this season and led her team in scoring. Over the season Ferraro averaged 12 points per game (ppg), 4 assists per game (apg), and 4 rebounds per game (rpg). She has received two player of the game awards this season, from a matchup with Las Lomas High School where she scored 19 points with four three pointers made, and the other against Urban High School. In playing Urban, Ferraro had a season high in scoring with 22 points, with an additional five rebounds, and three steals. Head coach Mary Dong comments, “Kayla’s game at Urban was certainly her best offensive performance, scoring 22 points. But what impressed me the most was her defense, gladly guarding Urban’s best player.” 

This trojan will definitely be continuing her basketball career no matter where she goes. “I fell in love with the game really early on, it’s always been something I can rely on outside of school…regardless of anything I definitely want to keep playing basketball in college even if it’s not for a team.” With her senior year coming up, her future is looking bright and there is no doubt that next season you’ll be seeing Ferraro back on the court leading her team!

Grady Bowers:

In this past 2023-2024 winter season, Senior and Varsity captain Grady Bowers led his team as a scorer, playmaker, and captain. Bowers has been playing with Terra Linda since his freshman year. His first year was on Junior Varsity but was pulled up to Varsity Sophomore year, making this season his third and final year on Varsity as a starting guard. In total, Bowers has been playing basketball for thirteen years, putting in countless hours of work and building a strong love for basketball. “I’m extremely dedicated, when I’m in basketball season I’m 100% in. I schedule workouts for the team outside of practice times, and workout individually seven days a week.” He continues, “I love the emotions involved in the game. Being able to experience such high amounts of joy…but also the disappointment when things aren’t going well. The range of emotions allows me to feel alive.” 

Throughout this season Bowers has received seven POTGs (Player of the Games) and averaged 20.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, and 3.3 apg. In the Lamond Murray Classic Tournament, Bowers achieved a season high of scoring with 35 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, and 3 three pointers made. Early in the season, in a tight rivalry game against San Rafael High School, Bowers had a double double attaining 34 points, 3 assists, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, and 11/11 free throws, to seal their 57-55 victory in taming the bulldogs. 

While his influence on the score is impactful, his influence as a teammate and captain is just as strong. Senior, and power forward on the Varsity team, Cole Simon states, “You always know that when Grady is on the court with you, you’ll be a better player because he just makes everyone better through the way he plays.” Another Senior, and small forward on the team, Trevor Revai adds, “He’s a great teammate because he lifts us up, builds our confidence, and gives us feedback.” Bowers is constantly a dependable teammate always being there for his teammates, and he makes sure of it. “I make sure to be a vocal leader, giving criticisms when needed and also making sure to celebrate teammates’ plays. This leadership is what keeps me motivated as a player.” 

Although his career at TL has come to an end, after this successful season Bowers hopes to play at the D3 level, and eventually end up coaching a high caliber team when he’s older. Bowers contributes, “I’ve had aspirations to play in college since I was a little kid and that’s what I work towards every time I step on the court.”