The Spider-Man Debate

Isabella Salvador

Since his introduction in 1962, Spider-Man has become one of the world’s most beloved superheroes for people around the world. He has been featured in over a dozen movies and television shows, targeted at audiences of all ages. Several actors have played the role of the friendly neighborhood hero. Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garflield, and Tom Holland have all starred as Peter Parker in major movies over the years. Practically every Spider-Man fanatic has a strong opinion on who played him best. The subject of which actor is the best Spider-Man has caused great debate, and many students at TL have firm beliefs on the matter.

A large group of students were surveyed. The results showed 63% in favor of Andrew Garfield, 37% in favor of Tom Holland, and nobody in favor of Tobey Maguire. Students have told us that their main reasons for their votes are how much skill the actors have and how attractive they are.

Andrew Garfield, the favorite Spider-Man of TL students, has been acting professionally since 2005. He had lots of acting experience before being cast as Spider-Man, starring in movies including The Social Network and acting on several television shows. His acting is acclaimed by critics, winning multiple awards such as a Golden Globe and a Tony. His talent for performing arts has not gone unnoticed by TL students. Jack Rosenthal, sophomore, said that Andrew Garfield had the “best and most realistic acting.”

Tom Holland, a British actor like Garfield, is also loved for his acting. “Tom Holland does a really good job representing a ‘teen nerd’ in terms of acting,” said sophomore Annie Sung. “However, Andrew Garfield is the best actor and has the best American accent,” she continued. Like Garfield, Holland has lots of acting experience and his talent has been recognized since his youth. He starred in Billy Elliot from 2008 to 2010 in London’s West End, the English equivalent of Broadway.

Another common reason students voted for Andrew Garfield is because he is “the hottest,” as described by several survey participants. When asked to elaborate, most students simply said, “He just is.”

Tobey Maguire, the least favorite Spider-Man among TL students, starred in Spider-Man movies from 2002 to 2007, around the time most TL students were born. Due to this, less students have seen the movies in which he has starred.

Andrew Garfield has won over the hearts of TL students, rising to the top as TL’s favorite Spider-Man. But the Spider-Man debate at TL is far from settled. Which Spider-Man do you love the most?