NASA Sleep Study

Do you like sleep? Do you hate getting out of bed in the morning? If so, there’s a perfect job for you! NASA is planning to conduct an experiment on the effects of ‘artificial gravity’ on a person over a long period of time. The experiment itself will take place over a period of 89 days, 60 in bed, 15 before to get ready, and 14 after to prepare to go back into the real world. Each participant will be in their own room and will not see the other participants.

So you might be thinking, “Oh, this sounds pretty good!” Slow down, there are quite a few downsides. First off, you can NOT leave the bed. That means, if you need to go to the bathroom, shower, or eat, you do it in the bed. No matter what. All you get to do is sit in bed and toss and turn. You will also be subject to checkups on your health. This could mean a number of things, like eye exams, hearing tests, and taking blood and urine samples. You will also be monitored constantly, even when you are sleeping. So, there are definitely some reasons why someone would not want to do it.

But don’t worry, it’s not all bad. If you do end up participating, it’s going to look really good on a resumé that you participated in a NASA experiment. Also, there is no wake up time so you can sleep to your heart’s content! Plus, $19,000 is A LOT of money. That kind of money will put you at 10% of the money needed to buy an average US house. You will also make a lot more money over the course of the 89 days, than an ordinary citizen would. Plus in the 14 days after the experiment, you will get stretch training, bed rest training, and massages.

I decided to ask some TL students if they would participate in this experiment. In all, I asked twenty students. Sixteen of them said that they would definitely do it for $19,000. Surprisingly, only four said that they would not because of how long the experiment is and what it entails. Personally I feel like I would completely lose my mind if I didn’t leave my bed for two months, so I don’t think I could do it. Maybe if it was only one month I would consider it, but two months is just too long for me.