Cheer Athlete of the Season: Emma Pearson

Courtesy+of+TLtrojansports+
Courtesy of TLtrojansports

Varsity Captain Emma Pearson has been cheering with the Terra Linda cheer program since her freshman year. This past 2023-2024 season, Pearson cheered consecutively from the beginning of the school year until January, participating in football cheer and competition. Pearson reflects on her fond memories of cheer, “Friday night lights, cheering under the lights, and getting ready with my team is always really fun.” In competition, Pearson participated in the “Fab 5” group, with her teammates Scarlett Maguire ‘24, Layla Harris ‘24, Sophie Nolan ‘25, and Shama Stropes ‘25. This season, they were able to place 1st in all of their competitions, creating a lasting memory for her. As a flier and back spot, she most enjoys stunting when cheering. “It’s really fun to see what we can do; some of the stunts we do are stuff you wouldn’t think is possible, like flipping, it’s overall really fun.” Pearson is always composed with a smile on her face, even while being thrown in the air. 

Cheer, being a profound team sport, is an aspect that encourages Pearson to consistently enhance her skills. “Cheer is such a team sport; we all have to improve for our whole team to improve. When someone else is trying their best to do better, it constantly motivates you to do better.” Pearson continues, “We motivate each other on the energy we bring into the room.”

Becoming a co-captain junior year and continuing this year, was very influential to Pearson. “I love being a captain; it means you get to lead by example and help new cheerleaders when they need it” Pearson states. And teammates definitely attest to her leadership abilities. Junior, Sophie Nolan states,“Emma was a really good demonstration of what a captain and cheerleader should be, she always had a super good attitude and was always really inclusive with everybody.” As she graduates this year, her leadership, strength, and abilities will definitely be missed. Although Pearson is not continuing to cheer in the future, she is excited to see how the program changes as the years go on.