Athlete of the Year: Cole Greene

Courtesy of Bob Cullinan, Cole Greene, and Ed Oswalt of MaxPreps

From fall to winter to spring sports, students have been working hard all year to represent their school on the playing field. As the school year comes to a close, we look back on a phenomenal year for all sports at Terra Linda High School.

From the bell game to the NCS soccer championships to the D2 NCS lacrosse playoffs, sophomore and three-sport varsity athlete Cole Greene has taken part in it all! After three extreme and amusing sports seasons for Greene, we look back on his performance and dedication on and off the field!

The Voice has nominated Cole Greene as Athlete of the Year. He plays varsity football, soccer, and lacrosse, has dedicated his life to sports since his childhood and has slowly experimented with other sports as well, finding a passion for all. “I’ve been playing club soccer since I could remember…As for lacrosse, I started at around 3rd grade… And football I started last year,” states Cole.

Greene states that playing sports is simply “the thing I love to do.” His biggest inspiration is his mom, as she was a huge athlete growing up. Greene enjoys listening to what his mom has done in her life because it motivates him to “achieve what she’s achieved.”

Over the last two years, Greene has shown a tremendous contribution to his teams. During his two seasons of Varsity lacrosse as a midfielder at TL, Greene has had a total of 29 goals with a total of 16 assists, and 70 ground balls. This past season alone Greene led his team in ground balls, tied for first in assists with teammate Cole Simon, and is third in points with a total of 22 from the 2022-2023 season. 

As for football, Greene plays strong safety and wide receiver. Last year, Greene played for the JV team but became a crucial component of the work ethic of the Varsity team this past season. On offense, he had 16 catches for 213 yards. On defense, he ranked third on his team with 29 tackles, and fourth with 2.5 tackles for a loss. Greene also led the team in fumble recoveries as well as recorded an interception in Terra Linda’s big win against Galileo High School.

Playing two years on the Terra Linda Varsity team as a center back for soccer, Greene made tremendous growth this season.  This year Greene was awarded the Most Improved Award (MIP). Head Varsity Coach, Micheal Crivello states, “ Usually that [MIP] sounds like you weren’t very good when the season started, but for Cole, it meant something entirely different. He was a good player that took his game to another level and became one of the reasons we had so much success at the end of the season.Although Greene was a defender, he recorded one goal this season in an outstanding 5-1 win against San Marin. Greene was the highest-playing sophomore, playing 23 out of 25 games. Crivello adds, “Cole is resilient and is never afraid of a challenge. We threw him into the fire and he had to learn on the job which is incredibly tough in a league like MCAL…Cole was outstanding this season.”

As the school year comes to a close, Greene reflects on his three consecutive sports seasons, both this year and last year. “I’d say it’s a lot of fun. You get to meet a lot of new people and especially freshmen year; Coming in, I didn’t know anyone at this school, so it was very helpful to make friends and just build a community.” With two more years of being a tri-sport athlete ahead, get ready for Greene to represent the Trojans for the rest of his high school career!