TL Hosts Its First Hispanic Heritage Night

Isabelle Stavsky

The first-ever annual Hispanic Heritage night hosted at Terra Linda High School took place on October 28. The event was thoughtfully planned by The Community and Culture Committee group from the Associated Student Body (ASB). The night was filled with community, culture, and many festive activities. Freshman Sydney Musial, member of ASB and organizer for the event explains, “We wanted to celebrate Hispanic culture and really get the community together.”

The festivities included free food, games, face painting provided by art students, and more. A big hit of the night was the live music, performed by the Banda Los Testarudos band. Sophomore Valor Previtali reflects fondly on the event, “There was live music, games, food, and a lot of people.”

The event was a major success, with over 400 guests, including students and their families. Freshman Kenia De Leon, shares, “My family was there and they really enjoyed it, it was really nice to see the community coming together.” One thing that was so special about the event was that the community was able to gather in person and with people of the same culture, which we haven’t been able to do in a while and is new to Terra Linda.

Terra Linda’s SLAM group (Student Led Anti-Racism Movement) set up a table at the event to explain the work that they do. Junior SLAM member, Zohie Betts, shares, “SLAM attended the event to emphasize the importance of embracing all cultures, as well as gaining recognition for what we stand for.”

Hispanic Heritage Night brought together the community and celebrated Hispanic Culture. It’s a tradition that will hopefully last for many years to come! Alex Robins, ASB and SLAM advisor concluded, “The TL community came together to celebrate not only our Hispanic students and their families but the diversity and connection that makes Terra Linda great. And this is just the beginning!”