Importance of Youth Voting Registration

Establishing policies, regulating laws, creating change, and moving forward from history starts with our voices and your vote. Pre-registration at the age of 16, up until you receive your ballet at 18 years old, provides residents with the opportunity to create change within their local community and nation. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, there has been an increase in votes between the ages of 18 and 29, as younger people are becoming more engaged in the electoral process. 

Marin County established the Student Elections Ambassador Program in 2018, which has worked alongside the Elections Department, the Marin County Office of Education, and the Marin League of Women Voters. This program has allowed students to spread awareness and teach the fundamentals of voting through having conversations with their peers. By providing support through county events, holding weekly meetings, and hosting town hall gatherings, this program has grown over the last five years, creating a heavily student-led environment. Lynda Roberts, who oversees the elections department, states “This is exciting because students are thinking about issues that impact them or will impact them in the future. It’s great to see students wanting to become more active in the program.”

As Marin County continues to establish this program and engage more youth, the community increases their knowledge of the importance of voting. Alex Robins, AP US History teacher here at Terra Linda High School, remarks “I think it’s important to vote, one because we have the opportunity. To put your beliefs and experiences into a choice on who gets to make decisions in your community or your country, it’s such a beautiful thing.” Going back through history, voting was a citizen right that was not provided to all individuals. Robins emphasizes that “voting is offering you a choice; it’s saying that you have the opportunity to make that voice heard. I think that’s something at times, people take for granted.” In addition, Christina Gonzalez, the department chair of modern languages at TL, voices “It’s such a privilege; you have to remember that there are so many countries where you can’t vote.”

A new generation of youth is provided with the opportunity to cast their individual vote for the people they believe would govern our country for the better. Many seniors and a number of juniors attending TL this year will have the chance to vote in the 2024 presidential election. Zohie Betts, a senior at TL, says “I believe that my generation has a lot of opinions and different outlooks on life that differentiate us from the generations before us. We are more active in pushing for changes in particular things such as climate change, racial equality, and the progression towards a fair society for all.”

Becoming involved in the community and gaining knowledge about your civil rights plays a crucial role in providing the foundation for action being taken toward local and worldwide issues. Organizations around Marin County will continue to provide educational opportunities and resources in order for citizens to make informed decisions for the upcoming elections. For students who are unable to cast their votes due to the age limitations of elections, you have the opportunity to pre-register and become involved with the student elections ambassador program. This is a chance for youth to speak up, use their voice, and be heard at the upcoming elections so register to vote now!