Super Smash Bros Team Arrives at Terra Linda

Chloe Hu

The rise of competitive video games has led to significant growth in the world of esports. There are a variety of games which teams partake in, ranging from tactical first-person shooters to multiplayer online battle arenas or even to battle royales. Terra Linda enters the high school esports scene this year, creating a team playing a very notable crossover fighting game series created by Nintendo, Super Smash Bros. 

The Founder and Coach, William Luong, states his primary reason for starting our school’s esports team was due to the fact that he has enjoyed playing Super Smash Bros ever since its release in 1999. He’d always liked gaming, but although he was a relatively competitive student, he was not interested in playing athletic sports. Unfortunately, his school did not have an esports league, so he wasn’t provided an alternative that may have allowed him to express his competitiveness in a different way. This made him want to offer a chance to students who are in a similar position to him to join and play in the field of high school esports. Luong says, “I want to give the opportunity to students who want to compete, but either aren’t into sports or can’t play sports because maybe they have some limitation, able to compete as well.”

In late Sept. 2022, Terra Linda’s first Super Smash Bros tournament was held, with the highest reward of a $25 gift card. It was initially held to gauge how many students may be interested in forming and joining the team. An astounding 30 students participated, going head-to-head in intense 1v1s trying to claim the No. 1 spot. After seeing such interest in the game, a team was officially created in early October of this year, with a roster of four players and the potential for more, each with varying experience and skill levels. When it comes to esports, team environment is just as important as skill. Players’ attitudes towards the game and each other can make or break a match. Competitive gaming is not just sufficiently mastering game mechanics, but also preserving a strong mentality. Mr. Luong strives for a chill and fun atmosphere, consisting of open-minded players and minimal tilting or toxicity. 

Currently, the team holds practices on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays in room 52. There is always at least one switch provided, or students can bring their own. Valor Previtali, a sophomore on the team says that the team dynamic is very playful and non-toxic. One of her teammates, Brian Luu describes their practice sessions as “very chill” and “just a good time.” Valor only first got the game this school year and has already drastically improved through playing and learning from others. Also adding that “the more experienced players often help out the newer players.” As a lot of these practices just consist of playing the game and enjoying the company of other teammates. Brian says, “it’s not super sweaty and serious all the time, there’s a lot of light-hearted banter and fooling around.” The main focuses during these times are having fun and improving at the game alongside other players. 

The team is looking into purchasing a pro controller for team use, as well as organizing a formal tournament against Novato High School’s Smash team either during winter, or esports season in the spring. They also have the ambition of participating in some of Sonoma State University’s Smash tournaments in the future. 

As of right now, this is TL’s only official esports team. Nevertheless, Luong intends to continue the esports and Smash team throughout his time here and hopes to expand the competitive gaming horizons here on campus, saying “If there were other esports that we could play and that we had people to, there would be other teams.”