Club Day in Review

Eli Baker

27 clubs set up tables on the courtyard, each attempting to get as many students to join as possible on TL’s club day. The scene was bustling with people, the white noise of countless conversations mixed with the hum of Auto Club’s car engine. Bags of candies spread across many of the tables were a common sight, maybe a lollipop is just the incentive someone needs to sign their name on the email list? Perhaps the most crowded area was beneath the large sunshade in front of the main building, where the Taylor Swift Club, Interact Club, Philosophy Club, and Thrift club were all set up next to one another in a crowded corner. Among the clubs, some sports teams (or prospective sports teams) were also being advertised, such as Mock Trial, Women’s Flag Football, and Mountain Biking. There were also many activism-based clubs present, from environmental protection to fighting structural racism. In case you happened to miss any of them, here’s a list of every club, along with a short description.

• Computer Science Club: A space to learn coding, or take Computer Science A if you took Computer Science Principles last year. You can join with or without prior experience.
  • French Honors Society: For those in French 3 or higher, this nationally-recognized program offers such benefits as dinners at French restaurants and a special cord for your graduation.
  • Ecology Experiences Club: Plans to advocate for environmentalism around campus by putting up posters, installing compost bins, organizing a walkout, and eventually a trip to the Academy of Sciences at the end of the year.
  • Engineering Club: Somewhere to design and build, use power tools, and learn skills that will be useful throughout your life.
  • Women’s Empowerment Club: An activism-based club planning to attend marches, organize a donation drive to collect hygiene products for underprivileged women, bring in guest speakers to talk to the club, put up posters, and generally raise awareness about the hardships women face.
  • Jesus Club: A bible study held in room 201 every Friday, this club “just talks about God.”
  • Tabletop Games Club: A place for D&D, board games, or anything else you can play on a table, this club meets in either Ms. Crawford’s or Mr. Luong’s room for 2 hours after school on Fridays.
  • Medicine Club: A club for those interested in learning about medicine, medical techniques, hearing from guest speakers, and fundraising.
  • Garden Club: An environmental club that will help prevent wildfires and improve air quality. They also plan on eventually bringing food to the farmers market and using the funds they procure for an end-of-the-year dinner.
  • Gender-Sexuality Alliance: The self-desrcibed “Gay Club” of Terra Linda. This group strives to make TL more gender-inclusive such as ensuring that the campus’ gender-neutral restrooms are open.
  • Jewish Student Union: As described by one of their representatives: “If you like Jewish people, if you like Jewish holidays, if you’re a Jew, if you wanna learn about Jews…” This club meets every other Thursday in room 411 at lunch.
  • Black Student Union: For Black students to come together and talk, get help with homework, do college prep, and help one another succeed.
  • Nicaragua Service Project: A service club that travels to Nicaragua every year to help a small school with fundraising and lunches, as well as other activities to help them throughout the year.
  • Auto Club: A car enthusiast club that attends a Cars and Coffee meetup the first Sunday of every month.
  • Spikeball Club: Meets once per month, plays spikeball, then goes home (flexible hours). This club is apparently the “Best time of your life.”
  • Taylor Swift Club: Obviously for fans of the famous musical artist, this group will listen to her albums and analyze her lyrics.
  • Philosophy Club: For “intellectually curious students of Terra Linda High School.” This club discusses questions about the world, watches movies, reads books, and looks great on college applications (all for a low time commitment).
  • Thrift Club: This club meets once or twice a month for either a thrift shopping spree followed by a clothes-swap, or simply a clothes-swap using members’ unwanted items. Clothes that nobody wants will be given away to charity.
  • Debate Club: A club for those interested in argument or being a lawyer, this club will, as its name suggests, debate various topics.
  • Health and Fitness Club: All about learning what makes someone healthy and fit, this club’s name is apparently pretty self-explanatory.
  • Project Lit: Meets in the library to pick books to read each month and discusses them.
  • Mountain Bike Club: A more competitive offering than most others at club day, mountain bike club will actually be competing in races in the spring, though you can also just join for fun. They have practice twice a week.
  • Women’s Flag Football: The team is in the process of becoming an NCS and MCAL sport, with official help from Gatorade, Nike, and the 49ers prep organization. No experience required. 
  • Rock Climbing Club: Meets in the gym “a couple times a week to practice.” A pretty relaxed commitment.
  • Asian Student Union: For asian students looking for a community at TL and to expand student body representation.
  • Interact Club: A service club that does various activities such as coat drives, food drives, and the TL blood drive. They also plan on doing various other service trips throughout California.
  • Mock Trial: For those interested in law or argument, TL Mock Trial is a competitive team in one of the most highly-skilled counties in the country. This team meets after school for two hours every week, schedule to be determined. Talk to Mr. Rosenberg or Mr. Robins about joining. Side note: Tamalpais High School’s team has won the national competition in the past.
  • Student Leaders Anti-Racism Movement (S.L.A.M.): An organization dedicated to fighting structural racism at TL by reducing discriminatory practices, increasing inclusion, and furthering the number of people of color in leadership positions.