Agree to Disagree

As we scroll through social media or watch the news on television, we will likely see a section on politics. Politics is everywhere nowadays, and it is very difficult to ignore the amount of politics that are implemented in one’s daily life. Due to the amount of exposure that politics receives, many opinions can become very influential in society.

The power of social media has made it possible for people to come into contact with other people with similar interests all across the world. As a result of this, people are becoming invested in implementing politics into how they portray themselves online and in the real world. The freedom of expression that many people exercise has been beneficial in rallying together, but this freedom can also divide people and cause uproar.

Why do many people take politics on such a personal level? Why is politics such a huge factor that so many people judge each other for, and why do conflicts arise due to different beliefs? According to Collins dictionary, politics can be defined as the activities or actions concerned in regards to using power in a society or country. Politics expands beyond that. It also has to do with issues that affect us individually and as a whole, such as debates over immigration, climate change, and healthcare. Personal background and the political climate where one grows up can affect  the way one perceives many political issues and topics. These opinions are driven mainly by one’s religious, moral, and emotional beliefs.These beliefs can be so strong as to spark fear, passion, and anger when someone presents an opposing opinion.

Though these different viewpoints can cause conflicts and debates, they don’t have to. Different viewpoints and perspectives can be a beneficial thing for a nation. We are able to look at certain issues with an array of ideas, and approach those issues based on how we feel, think, and ultimately how we are going to resolve them. 

Mr. Tow, English and Philosophy teacher stated, “I think a nation is defined by having different people with different viewpoints. That’s a part of living in a community. We’re able to disagree productively. However, when we view these viewpoints as foundational and fundamental to our identity and something that we’re not willing to not just concede on but acknowledge the value with any other positions, those divisions become intractable and corrosive.”  Respecting everyone in regards to their political beliefs and listening to what they have to say without judgements is important not only to them, but can also be beneficial to all.

If we can understand and acknowledge the other position and listen to what people have to say, we can still keep our own identity. That is the key to not only getting along with people who have different viewpoints, but also to politics.