The student news site of Terra Linda High School.

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

A Creepy, Kookie Perfect Couple

Who do you think of when you think of a great couple? You might think of Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin, or Kim and Kanye, or even Shrek and Fiona. However, there is one great couple in the media that gets overlooked a lot. That couple is Gomez and Morticia Addams.

Gomez and Morticia Addams are a couple from the long standing franchize The Addams Family. There have been plenty of incarnations of this couple throughout the past 80 years. They started as characters in a comic in the late 1930’s, then got a TV show in the 60’s. A few decades later two movies, another short running TV show, and even a cartoon(that had a crossover episode with Scooby Doo). Just recently there was an animated feature about them.

Despite all the changes they have gone through, Gomez and Mortica have always stayed the same in how they act towards each other. They are completely head over heels for one another and they are one of the best on screen couples that have ever graced the media. Here’s why:

For starters, despite years of marriage Gomez and Mortica try to keep their marriage alive(despite being obsessed with the dead) and exciting. They spend plenty of time with each other by going on dates, dancing, fencing, and other activities. Many times in the media we see couples who after years of marriage grow to resent each other. But not the Addams!

Second, they openly show their love for each other. Gomez is always going on about how amazing he thinks Morticia is. He will do it when it is just the two of them in private moments; however he is not afraid to show the world his endless love for his wife. He doesn’t hesitate to compliment her, kiss her, and listen to what she has to say in the presents of guests and other family members. He will even talk about his love for her when she is not in the room.

Even though the Addams show many grand gestures of affection, they also do small things to make each other happy. It can be as simple as spending some much needed alone time together or just a simple kiss.

The third reason Gomez and Morticia are such a great couple is that when they have disagreements they calmly work through them. They would never angrily yell at each other, instead they sit down and talk things out. For example in one of the old episodes from the 60’s TV show they had a disagreement about how their children should be educated. But after a calm, yet funny, discussion they came to an agreement.

Another reason that they are such a great couple is that when they face a problem they always work on as a team to solve it. They even face parenting as a team event; both spend equal time making sure their children are being loved and supported. They are in everything together 100% and are all ways there to support one another when the other is knocked down. However if anyone ever dared lay a hand on Morticia, Gomez would not hesitate to defend her honor. Which brings us to our last point:

Gomez and Morticia would defend each other to the death. They wouldn’t hesitate to slice down any foe who dare hurt the other. Gomez even said once[about Morticia] “I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.” Now obviously you don’t actually have to die for someone you love, nor kill for them. The Addams just like to be a bit dramatic, but the sentiment is still there. The point is that they protect each other like a couple should.

Gomez and Morticia Addams are an amazing couple who we as people should look to for inspiration. Their care and devotion for each other is a huge part of who they are, and they never shy away from showing the world their love. Maybe we should all try to be a little more like Gomez and Morticia when it comes to our relationships.