The student news site of Terra Linda High School.

The Voice

The Voice

The Voice

After High School: Community College

Whether high school is coming to an end or beginning, there is no doubt that it is crucial to think about the options after. There are many routes to take, like college, gap year, going straight into the workforce, or joining the military. There are many more choices but it can be challenging to determine which path is a best fit based on one’s interest. However, there seems to be one option that many choose, college. Even for college, there is an array of choices to be made. Following high school graduation, many people decide to go straight into a four-year college, whereas others choose to settle at a community college and later transfer. Although both are great opportunities, the latter can carry stigmas that many attendees have to endure from their families, friends, and society as a whole.

One of the myths is that community college is mainly for people who are ineligible to attend a four-year school. Although this can be why some people choose to go to community college, many other circumstances persuade students to select this option. Brad Ward, who has been a college counselor for 21 years, saw this stigma occur in her career. “That’s totally untrue! Community colleges are packed with lots of different students who have a wide variety of reasons for going. One of my former students attended a community college and then transferred to Stanford, where they would not have been admitted right out of high school.” Students from all different types of backgrounds attend community college. Since all of these backgrounds are diverse, it would be unfair to generalize this type of schooling for one specific group of students. Instead, it can be quite the opposite. Community college grants people new opportunities that they never thought they could get. 

Although these myths pollute many peoples’ perspectives, there are many benefits that are not addressed enough. One of the main benefits of community college is the financial aspect. “One major benefit of attending community college is that it saves a bundle of money! Some or even many of the courses are the same ones that a student would take at a four-year, but at a community college the tuition is much-reduced or even free!” Due to the low price, many people assume that community college is less effective when it comes to education than a four-year college. This simply isn’t the case. The saying “you get what you pay for,” can’t be applied in this area. Instead one gets a reduced price on tuition, despite taking almost identical courses of someone who attends a four-year college. 

“Too many students are graduating from four-year colleges with massive debt that’s taking them nearly their entire life to pay off, whereas if they’d attended a community college for their first couple of years, they’d be in much better shape,” Brad mentions. Unfortunately, due to the steep price that many colleges offer, many people are trapped in an overwhelming amount of debt. According to The Institute for college access & success, in 2019 more than six out of ten college graduates from four-year schools owed an average of $28,950 in student loan debt.

Besides that, there is more flexibility when it comes to housing. “Also, housing costs are a consideration: at community colleges, students can either live at home and save a lot on housing versus four-year college dorms & residence halls which can be pricey, or maybe get some roommates and live close to the community college so that they still get the independent living experience (not under their parents’ roof) of college, while not paying much in tuition,” she added. Since one has the option to not  live on campus, they have more flexibility to do what they please. This can not only save money on dorms, but people can still get a sense of independence, depending on which option they choose. 

Additionally, community colleges give people the opportunity to transfer to a four-year school in the future. “Many students attend the community college close to where they want to eventually transfer to a 4-year, such as Cuesta near Cal Poly-SLO, Santa Barbara City College near UCSB, Santa Monica College near UCLA, or Berkeley City College near Cal.” This allows students to immerse themselves in the schools they want to after a couple of years. They still get to experience what it is like to go to the school of their dreams without breaking the bank. 

Lastly, this gives unsure students some time to reflect on what they really want to do. “Also, some students are unsure as high school seniors about whether they want to attend a 4-year college close to home, or go far away, so in those cases community college can buy them 2 or 3 years to decide where they want to finish a 4-year degree,” Brad adds. It is not uncommon to be unsure of what path to take after highschool. Community college can help buy time to decide on one’s interests.    

Whatever choice one makes, it doesn’t matter, as long as they know the choice is right for them. It is always important to do further research before choosing, so one has access to knowing both the benefits and burdens of the choice considered. Lastly, one’s choice must be personally wanted, instead of basing it on other’s expectations.. Whether community college is the right personal choice for one or not, there is no doubt that research and an open mind can help to determine that.