“The Thrill of It All” Review

Full of soul, sorrow, and heartbreak, Sam Smith’s new album, The Thrill of It All,will not only make you tear up, but will cause you to reflect on your relationships and life. Sam Smith, a London native, is a singer-songwriter who is well-known for his harrowing voice and heart wrenching songs. It has been three years since his debut album, In the Lonely Hour, which won him four Grammys. The Thrill of It All, his second studio album, consists of ten songs– most being the kind you listen to on a rainy day while staring out the window. Pretending you’re in a music video. Now here’s a rundown of all the alluring songs.

Starting off with “Too Good at Goodbyes” Smith angelically explains how every time his lover leaves him, or breaks his heart, it gets easier to leave them.

The second track, “Say It First” is a sweet love song that refers to Smith falling in love again, although he’s “used to emptiness in his heart.” He wishes for his partner to be the first one to say, ‘I love you.’

“One Last Song” takes a more upbeat melody, although its meaning is melancholy. Hoping he gets the message that he continues to love him, Smith dedicates this track to his ex, who wants nothing to do with him.

With a classic beat, “Midnight Train” evokes emotions of nostalgia, as he must leave his “darling.”  

“Burning” sounds like a song consisting of self deterioration after a breakup, however, Smith states, “Burning, is for me, the most personal song I’ve ever written in my life… That song to me is about fame.” The soothing piano, only elevates this song to new heights.

In “HIM,” a record full of gospel set in a traditional hymn style, Smith tells the story of coming out and being unapologetically gay. “HIM,” is currently my favorite song, not only because the meaning resonates with me, but for the reason that it is such a dark and powerful sounding record.

“Baby, You Make Me Crazy” is an ironic song due to the fact it gives off a feel-good vibe, but is lyrically depressing.

“No Peace” featuring Yebba, a singer with a powerful voice from Arkansas, beautifully illustrates the inability to find peace without your loved one, through the heavenly harmonies of their dynamic voices, accompanied by piano.

“Palace” is a metaphor for the love built between two people. Smith describes how he occasionally regrets that they “built this palace”, however he states that “real love is never a waste of time.” It’s okay, I’m crying too.

Finishing off with “Pray” this song talks about being young and naive, but making it through the world. “Pray” is full of gospel melodies and intense violin, which make it all the more powerful.

The special edition of the album adds four more soulful masterpieces. If you’re looking for a persuasive, gospel song about getting over a breakup, then “Nothing Left for You” is a perfect choice.

“The Thrill of It All” an ominously beautiful song about getting lost in the excitement of love and fame. “Scars” is a sweet, acoustic tribute to his parents.

Finally, “One Day at a Time” tells a story of losing ourselves in this fast moving world and technology, through serene acoustics and Smith’s smooth vocals.

If you’re looking for a way to relax and embrace a melancholy mood this break, The Thrill of It All is a beautifully orchestrated album about the hardships of love and life, 10/10 would recommend.