The student news site of Terra Linda High School

The Voice of Troy

Tips for Studying

Many high schoolers struggle with stress from finals and other testing at this time of year, and often adopt unhealthy habits like staying up until unreasonably late hours the night before a test, and putting themselves through intense studying. While it is essential to be successful on such pivotal exams, to subject yourself to such deleterious practices is to put academic prowess above rudimentary hygiene. Staying up late before tests is proven to have detrimental effects on grades; oftentimes students who stay up late to cram and do well on the exam would have already done well anyway (Business Insider). Those who do poorly would frequently have performed to a higher standard had they gone to bed earlier. Therefore in this stressful time it is crucial to keep progressive and healthy studying strategies.

The imperative piece of preparing for a big test is beginning studying long before it. A study conducted by UCLA professor of psychiatry, Andrew Fuligni, concludes,Students generally learn best when they keep a consistent study schedule.” Thus, reviewing material for an hour a day for the month leading up to the exam is substantiated to be far more beneficial to scores than merely cramming the day before. Making a study calendar and sticking to it is an excellent way of setting aside time for studying.  It is still worthwhile to study extensively shortly before the test, but be sure to get plenty of sleep the night before. It is also important to get plenty of exercise and to maintain a healthy diet coming into an exam. Going on walks and runs, or practicing your favorite sport can help focus your mind and relieve stress.

Every student has a studying method that works well for them, and finding that method is the key to success during finals week. Senior Kevin Mazariegos says, “I think you should divide it into parts and then also do some exercise.” Senior Celine Razavi recommends studying “for at least fifteen minutes the night before.” This studying method can be very effective because studies have proven that material is better retained if studied right before bed (“Sleeping After Processing Info Most Effective,” 2012). Whatever your studying strategy, the Voice of Troy staff wishes you best of luck during finals week.