The student news site of Terra Linda High School

The Voice of Troy

2017 NFL Draft Grades

Ryan Kraus, Contributor

AFC East
Buffalo Bills
Draft picks: Tre’Davious White (No. 27 overall), Zay Jones (No. 37 overall), Dion Dawkins (No. 63 overall), Matt Milano (No. 163 overall), Nathan Peterman (No. 171 overall), Tanner Vallejo (No. 195 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Buffalo Bills had a solid draft class led by CB Tre’Davious White and WR Zay Jones, as well as OG Dion Dawkins. Tre’Davious White has the skills to be a day one starter for the Bills, and Zay Jones should be in the conversation for WR2 among coaches in Buffalo. The Bills were also able to capitalize on the Kansas City Chiefs “need” for a QB, and the Bills gained multiple picks moving down in the draft. Overall a very solid draft for a team that is going through a massive overhaul in management.

Miami Dolphins
Draft picks: Charles Harris (No. 22 overall), Raekwon McMillan (No. 54 overall), Cordrea Tankersley (No. 97 overall), Isaac Asiata (No. 164 overall), Davon Godchaux (No. 178 overall), Vincent Taylor (No. 194 overall), Isaiah Ford (No. 237 overall)
Draft Grade: B+
Draft Analysis: The Miami Dolphins spent the majority of their draft capital acquiring pieces that will help them to take down the mighty New England Patriots. From LBs Raekwon McMillan and Charles Harris, to CB Cordrea Tankersley, and DLs Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor. The only offensive players they drafted were OL Isaac Asiata and WR Isaiah Ford. Overall, a good draft addressing the need at defense, because they won’t win their division without an outstanding defense, and picking up some help for Jay Ajayi and Ryan Tannehill.

New England Patriots
Draft picks: Derek Rivers (No. 83 overall), Antonio Garcia (No. 85 overall), Deatrich Wise (No. 130 overall), Conor McDermott (No. 211 overall)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: Looking at this draft class, it doesn’t look like an A- draft, but the Patriots used their draft picks to acquire players already in the league. They traded their first round pick for
Brandin Cooks formerly of the New Orleans Saints, a young up-and-coming receiver who will have an immediate impact and become a great wide receiver in New England. With their second round pick they traded for DE Kony Ealy, an established edge rusher, who has the record for sacks in a Super Bowl. Their draft picks are all good for the spot where they were picked, but when the Super Bowl Champions are able to get even better, the rest of the league should definitely be scared.

New York Jets
Draft picks: Jamal Adams (No. 6 overall), Marcus Maye (No. 39 overall), ArDarius Stewart (No. 79 overall), Chad Hansen (No. 141 overall), Jordan Leggett (No. 150 overall), Dylan Donahue (No. 181 overall), Elijah McGuire (No. 188 overall), Jeremy Clark (No. 197 overall), Derrick Jones (No. 204 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Jets, like the rest of the AFC East teams, stacked up on defense. S Jamal Adams will have an immediate impact, but they also drafted some offensive tools for whoever wins their QB battle. The Jets did draft another safety right after getting Jamal Adams, which didn’t make sense and brought down what was otherwise a pretty good draft class. TE Jordan Leggett will also see the field, and should help the team out coming off a year where the Jets offense was one of the worst in the league.

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens
Draft picks: Marlon Humphrey (No. 16 overall), Tyus Bowser (No. 47 overall), Chris Wormley (No. 74 overall), Tim Williams (No. 78 overall), Nico Siragusa (No. 122 overall), Jermaine Eluemunor (No. 159 overall), Chuck Clark (No. 186 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Baltimore Ravens stacked up on defense this year, something that, in a division with lethal offense from the Steelers and Bengals, is needed. Tim Williams was a steal in the 3rd round, and he should be able to help the Ravens out tremendously. Tyus Bowser also will provide some assistance to the aging Ravens defense. The centerpiece of their draft was CB Marlon Humphrey. With receivers in their division such as Antonio Brown, A.J. Green, and now John Ross, a rookie corner who has tremendous upside will certainly lead to a secondary to contain those WRs mentioned.

Cincinnati Bengals
Draft picks: John Ross (No. 9 overall), Joe Mixon (No. 48 overall), Jordan Willis (No. 73 overall), Carl Lawson (No. 116 overall), Josh Malone (No. 128 overall), Ryan Glasgow (No. 138 overall), Jake Elliott (No. 153 overall), J.J. Dielman (No. 176 overall), Jordan Evans (No. 193 overall), Brandon Wilson (No. 207 overall), Mason Schreck (No. 251 overall)
Draft Grade: C+
Draft Analysis: This draft was very good talent-wise, but in terms of what the Bengals needed, it was not a spectacular draft. WR John Ross will certainly be great with A.J. Green if both stay healthy. In the second round, one of the most questionable picks of the draft was RB Joe Mixon, a good running back with really bad character problems. Back in 2014 Joe Mixon attacked a woman, and it is on camera. So for the Bengals, who have two established running backs, this pick made absolutely no sense. The Bengals did get a gem later in Carl Lawson, but that is still not enough to make up for drafting a person who is turning Bengals fans against their own team.

Cleveland Browns
Draft picks: Myles Garrett (No. 1 overall), Jabrill Peppers (No. 25 overall), David Njoku (No. 29 overall), DeShone Kizer (No. 52 overall), Larry Ogunjobi (No. 65 overall), Howard Wilson (No. 126 overall), Roderick Johnson (No. 160 overall), Caleb Brantley (No. 185 overall), Zane Gonzalez (No. 224 overall), Matt Dayes (No. 252 overall)
Draft Grade: A+
Draft Analysis: To say that the Browns had a good draft would be an understatement. This year was unlike the Browns’ past drafts with three first round picks this year, they hit on all three. DE Myles Garrett was clearly the number one player this year, but whispers of the Browns drafting Mitch Trubisky did make the rounds before Garrett was picked. Next, for a team that is bad at offense, defense, and special teams, a guy like Jabrill Peppers, who can play all of those sides of the ball was just what they needed. Next, TE David Njoku will be a great player on the the Browns. All of these picks, and many were worried that after day one, the Browns didn’t address the need at QB. However, in the second round they drafted DeShone Kizer quarterback from Notre Dame, who many said had the best potential at QB in this years draft. Just this is enough to say that the Browns had an A+ draft.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Draft picks: T.J. Watt (No. 30 overall), JuJu Smith-Schuster (No. 62 overall), Cameron Sutton (No. 94 overall), James Conner (No. 105 overall), Joshua Dobbs (No. 135 overall), Brian Allen (No. 173 overall), Colin Holba (No. 213 overall), Keion Adams (No. 248 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: This Was a very solid draft from a team that came off an AFC Championship berth. T.J. Watt is a project player, but can develop into a great player. They also added some DBs for a division with strong WRs. QB Josh Dobbs, who is drawing comparisons to Dak Prescott, provides a good backup for Ben Roethlisberger, and eventually could be the starter when “Big Ben” retires. RB James Conner will be an excellent backup for Le’veon Bell. Overall a safe draft that was full of players who can develop and help out the Steelers tremendously.

AFC South
Houston Texans
Draft picks: Deshaun Watson (No. 12 overall), Zach Cunningham (No. 57 overall), D’Onta Foreman (No. 89 overall), Julie’n Davenport (No. 130 overall), Carlos Watkins (No. 142 overall), Treston Decoud (No. 169 overall), Kyle Fuller (No. 243)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: The Houston Texans have their QB of the future. Deshaun Watson is a perfect fit for the Texans, and has the chance to be a day one starter. He joins a team that is really a QB away from getting to the next level in the playoffs. The Texans also added LB Zach Cunningham who was projected as high as round one at one point before the draft. Cunningham is a consistent producer who has trouble with missing tackles, but could work on that and become really valuable. RB D’Onta Foreman, who came off a great career at the University of Texas, will be a great RB of the future and backup to Lamar Miller now. Other players like DT Carlos Watkins, will help to build up positions where the Texans are missing depth, and in the case of Carlos Watkins, he could potentially win the job because of the injury and retirements from the front seven of the Texans.

Indianapolis Colts
Draft picks: Malik Hooker (No. 15 overall), Quincy Wilson (No. 46 overall), Tarell Basham (No. 80 overall), Zach Banner (No. 137 overall), Marlon Mack (No. 143 overall), Grover Stewart (No. 144 overall), Nate Hairston (No. 158 overall), Anthony Walker (No. 161 overall)
Draft Grade: B-
Draft Analysis: The Colts had an ok draft this year. Their first overall pick S Malik Hooker has the potential to be a really good safety, and is a great pick for a team that has an aging defense, with not many real stars apart from Vontae Davis. CB Quincy Wilson and DE Tarell Basham also provide much needed help to the Colts defense. One reason the Colts didn’t have as successful of a draft is because they didn’t address the need at O-line, besides getting OT Zach Banner. The Colts did get Marlon Mack, but they needed a better RB to take over the reigns after Frank Gore retires. Overall the Colts focussed a little too heavily on defense, and could’ve used some more help on the offensive side of the ball.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Draft picks: Leonard Fournette (No. 4 overall), Cam Robinson (No. 34 overall), Dawuane Smoot (No. 68 overall), Dede Westbrook (No. 110 overall), Blair Brown (No. 148 overall), Jalen Myrick (No. 222 overall), Marquez Williams (No. 240 overall)
Draft Grade: B+
Draft Analysis: The Jaguars had a good draft this year addressing some needs. First, although they have some good RBs in Chris Ivory and T.J. Yeldon, they added Leonard Fournette who could become the starter, and provides much needed talent at the RB position. They also got one of the top OL Cam Robinson, who will help out tremendously and should be a day-one starter for a team with a questionable O-Line. Dawuane Smoot, Jalen Myrick, and Blair Brown round out the defensive picks from the Jaguars. Smoot will help the DL of the Jaguars. Myrick was a projected 5th rounder who went in the 7th round to the Jaguars, and is someone who could work his way up in the depth chart. Brown should also see the field due to LB injuries. One question from this draft is Dede Westbrook. He has some character issues, but if fixed could be a really good receiver. Overall a very solid draft from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Tennessee Titans
Draft picks: Corey Davis (No. 5 overall), Adoree’ Jackson (No. 18 overall), Taywan Taylor (No. 72 overall), Jonnu Smith (No. 100 overall), Jayon Brown (No. 155 overall), Corey Levin (No. 217 overall), Josh Carraway (No. 227 overall), Brad Seaton (No. 236 overall), Khalfani Muhammad (No. 241 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Titans went right to work acquiring pieces to play alongside their star QB Marcus Mariota. Corey Davis has the ability to be the best WR in the draft. He is a great route runner, and has an alpha-dog mentality. He will be able to produce in the redzone and, if healthy, could be one of the best rookies in this years draft. Adoree’ Jackson is similar to Jabrill Peppers, because like Peppers he can play on all sides of the ball. Jackson should be a big help to building a young core in Tennessee if he can improve at his primary position cornerback. The last big hit of this draft is Taywan Taylor who drew comparisons to Stefon Diggs of the Minnesota Vikings. Taylor could develop into a nice piece for the Titans offense. TE Jonnu Smith has potential to work to become like the TE he will play under, Delanie Walker. The rest of the players were not misses, but should be just depth pieces.

AFC West
Denver Broncos
Draft picks: Garett Bolles (No. 20 overall), DeMarcus Walker (No. 51 overall), Carlos Henderson (No. 82 overall), Brendan Langley (No. 101 overall), Jake Butt (No. 145 overall), Isaiah McKenzie (No. 172 overall), De’Angelo Henderson (No. 203 overall), Chad Kelly (No. 253 overall)
Draft Grade: B-
Draft Analysis: The Denver Broncos are being kept afloat by a superb defense, so as expected offense was a primary target in this draft. OL Garrett Bolles is a great player, and a much needed piece to the Broncos. WR Isaiah McKenzie will also be able to learn under Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas, two great receivers. TE Jake Butt is another piece on offense that will help the Broncos. The Broncos did not do a good enough job picking offensive players, which could hurt them. With the AFC West being as tough as it is, this draft was good, but to stay at the top in this division you have to have great drafts.

Kansas City Chiefs
Draft picks: Patrick Mahomes (No. 10 overall), Tanoh Kpassagnon (No. 59 overall), Kareem Hunt (No. 86 overall), Jehu Chesson (No. 139 overall), Ukeme Eligwe (No. 183 overall), Leon McQuay (No. 217 overall)
Draft Grade: C+
Draft Analysis: Pat Mahomes “The Gunslinger v.2” at #10 overall for a team that already has a quarterback in Alex Smith, makes little sense. The Chiefs were better off drafting later, rather than giving up picks to move up and take a guy, who will be the starter in 2 or 3 years. Tanoh Kpassagnon is another player that will take time developing, but he makes more sense because he can learn in Kansas City, where their defense is pretty good, and at 6’7” he has the physical size to be really good. Kareem Hunt also has tremendous upside, and it is possible he works his way up the Chiefs depth chart after learning under Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West. Similarly to the Broncos, to stay at the top of the AFC West, you have to have a better draft than what the Chiefs have here.

Los Angeles Chargers
Draft picks: Mike Williams (No. 7 overall), Forrest Lamp (No. 38 overall), Dan Feeney (No. 71 overall), Rayshawn Jenkins (No. 113 overall), Desmond King (No. 151 overall), Sam Tevi (No. 190 overall), Isaac Rochell (No. 225 overall)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: With one of the best drafts this year, the now Los Angeles Chargers addressed many of their biggest needs and did it well. WR Mike Williams is going to be a great target for Philip Rivers alongside Travis Benjamin and Keenan Allen, as well as the other receivers. Mike Williams is a perfect fit, as another guy who can come down 50/50 with the ball. With their next two picks the Chargers took offensive linemen Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney. Both of these two were projected really high and the Chargers got them both lower than what they were supposed to be drafted at. These two will definitely help to work at the Chargers goal of protecting Philip Rivers. These picks are enough to give the Chargers an A- grade, and they still had more rounds of very solid players who should be able to contribute.

Oakland Raiders
Draft picks: Gareon Conley (No. 24 overall), Obi Melifonwu (No. 56 overall), Eddie Vanderdoes (No. 88 overall), David Sharpe (No. 129 overall), Marquel Lee (No. 167 overall), Shalom Luani (No. 221 overall), Jylan Ware (No. 231 overall), Elijah Hood (No. 242 overall), Treyvon Hester (No. 244 overall)
Draft Grade: B-
Draft Analysis: The Oakland Raiders don’t have many team needs, apart from help in the secondary, so this draft was about getting people they could develop. Gareon Conley could turn out to be an excellent corner, but he recently was accused of rape. Should he end up with jail time, this pick will backfire completely on the Raiders. In the second round they drafted one of the most interesting players in the draft S Obi Melifonwu. He is the most physically gifted and talented player in the draft, and if he can work on coverage issues, will be a really good player. Apart from those two this draft was forgettable; most will have to work hard to be a #2 or #3 on the depth chart. This draft class is one that could turn out great, or be completely forgotten.

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys
Draft picks: Taco Charlton (No. 28 overall), Chidobe Awuzie (No. 60 overall), Jourdan Lewis (No. 92 overall), Ryan Switzer (No. 133 overall), Xavier Woods (No. 191 overall), Marquez White (No. 216 overall), Joey Ivie (No. 228 overall), Noah Brown (No. 239 overall), Jordan Carrell (No. 246 overall)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: The Cowboys have everything on the offensive side of the ball, so they went right to work on defense. DE Taco Charlton has the size and ability that the Cowboys needed. The next two picks the Cowboys used to address their biggest issue, which is talent at the cornerback position. Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis both are very talented corners, and should both be able to work their way up on the depth chart, which right now is very thin. The only questionable pick was WR Ryan Switzer, he is talented, but undersized like the WR they already have Cole Beasley. Other than that this draft was really good, especially for a team with as talented of an offense as they have.

New York Giants
Draft picks: Evan Engram (No. 23 overall), Dalvin Tomlinson (No. 55 overall), Davis Webb (No. 87 overall), Wayne Gallman (No. 140 overall), Avery Moss (No. 167 overall), Adam Bisnowaty (No. 200 overall)
Draft Grade: B-
Draft Analysis: The New York Giants had a decent draft this year, but there was no major improvements with these picks, apart from TE Evan Engram. QB Davis Webb should be a good backup, and could possibly develop to play when Eli leaves. DT Dalvin Tomlinson has a chance to be a starter, but he was drafted above his projected spot, going in the second round instead of the third or fourth. RB Wayne Gallman is another guy that could rise through the depth chart, and although he may start, he is not an amazing running back that the Giants can start for the future. However, Gallman will probably be a transition to when the Giants get a good running back. Other than those picks, which are not awful, this was not a spectacular draft, which could’ve helped the Giants stay afloat with teams in their division getting much better.

Philadelphia Eagles
Draft picks: Derek Barnett (No. 14 overall), Sidney Jones (No. 43 overall), Rasul Douglas (No. 99 overall), Mack Hollins (No. 118 overall), Donnel Pumphrey (No. 132 overall), Shelton Gibson (No. 166 overall), Nathan Gerry (No. 184 overall), Elijah Qualls (No. 214 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Philadelphia Eagles had a very good draft this year, and with great offensive teams in the division, the Eagles went right to work to build a defense to stop them. DE Derek Barnett should be a day-one starter, and has a lot of potential, and although many in Philly didn’t like the draft choice because it was the “safe choice” it should pan out well. With their next pick in the second round the Eagles took CB Sidney Jones, who many thought they should take in the first round before some injury problems made Jones fall to the second round. Jones should be able to recover quickly, and many are comparing him to Chiefs CB Marcus Peters, who is becoming a great corner. If Jones develops to be like Marcus Peters this pick would be a steal. Past that the Eagles were able to add more talent on both sides of the ball with CB Rasul Douglas, who is a big corner that will contribute right away, and RB Donnel Pumphrey who is Darren Sproles 2.0, and should replace Darren when he leaves. Overall, this draft was very solid, and will certainly contain some starters, and future starters for the Eagles.

Washington Redskins
Draft picks: Jonathan Allen (No. 17 overall), Ryan Anderson (No. 49 overall), Fabian Moreau (No. 81 overall), Samaje Perine (No. 114 overall), Montae Nicholson (No. 123 overall), Jeremy Sprinkle (No. 154 overall), Chase Roullier (No. 199 overall), Robert Davis (No. 209 overall), Josh Harvey-Clemons (No. 230 overall), Joshua Holsey (No. 235 overall)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: This draft class for the Redskins contains a lot of talent, and they got great value for their picks. DL Jonathan Allen had some injury questions which helped him fall from the projected pick of #3 to pick #17. Allen has tremendous talent, and is going to be a day-one starter, and contributor for the Redskins. In the second round the Redskins got OLB Ryan Anderson, a well-rounded player with potential to be the starter for a long time in the league. Another great player the Redskins got was CB Fabian Moreau, who was projected to be a high pick in the draft before he tore his pectoral muscle at his pro-day at UCLA. He is going to recover and provide much-needed help alongside Josh Norman in the Redskins secondary. The team also acquired RB Samaje Perine, a power runner, useful to a team that ranked 29th in red zone TD efficiency. Last in the 7th round the Redskins got Josh Harvey-Clemons from Louisville, who has been compared to big-hitter Kam Chancellor, but he obviously fell that far for a reason. Multiple failed drug tests got him kicked out of the University of Georgia. If he can better his life off the field, he could work to be a good player for the Redskins. Overall, very good draft for the Redskins, containing many starters or future starters for this team.

NFC North
Chicago Bears
Draft picks: Mitchell Trubisky (No. 2 overall), Adam Shaheen (No. 45 overall), Eddie Jackson (No. 112 overall), Tarik Cohen (No. 119 overall), Jordan Morgan (No. 147 overall)
Draft Grade: D-
Draft Analysis: Robbed, burgled, fleeced:what more is there to say? The Chicago Bears gave up multiple valuable picks to trade up one spot, just to pick a player that would’ve been available at their original spot #3. This player is someone who didn’t even start his entire college career. QB Mitchell “Mitch” Trubisky, described perfectly by an NFL scout who said, “At times he looks like another Carson Wentz and then there are times he looks like Blaine Gabbert.” This streakiness combined with the fact that the Bears just paid former backup QB Mike Glennon millions of dollars, makes this pick the worst pick in the draft. No disrespect to Mitch Trubisky, who could become a good QB in the league, but the way the Bears were able to get him is what makes the pick bad. Overall this year’s draft was the worst class of any team, and for a team like the Bears to pick as poorly as they did is going to hurt them for the future.

Detroit Lions
Draft picks: Jarrad Davis (No. 21 overall), Teez Tabor (No. 53 overall), Kenny Golladay (No. 96 overall), Jalen Reeves-Maybin (No. 124 overall), Michael Roberts (No. 127 overall), Jamal Agnew (No. 165 overall), Jeremiah Ledbetter (No. 205 overall), Brad Kaaya (No. 215 overall), Pat O’Connor (No. 250 overall)
Draft Grade: B-
Draft Analysis: The Lions had a clear focus with this draft: defense. LB Jarrad Davis is very talented, and he is going to be a day-one starter with his ability to run and cover, as well as rush the passer. Along with that, he has great character, which can only improve his potential because he should have no off-field issues. In the second round CB Teez Tabor adds to an already lethal secondary the Lions have. This pick is great, and Tabor should compete and be high up on the depth chart come the regular season. Apart from these two players, the Lions only had a decent draft. This class was mostly an improvement on depth more than it was an improvement on the starters, but still a solid draft class.

Green Bay Packers
Draft picks: Kevin King (No. 33 overall), Josh Jones (No. 61 overall), Montravius Adams (No. 93 overall), Vince Biegel (No. 108 overall), Jamaal Williams (No. 134 overall), DeAngelo Yancey (No. 175 overall), Aaron Jones (No. 182 overall), Kofi Amichia (No. 212 overall), Devante Mays (No. 238 overall), Malachi Dupre (No. 247 overall)
Draft Grade: B-
Draft Analysis: The Green Bay Packers had a decent draft, improving their secondary, but not really adding any major targets for Aaron Rodgers, which should always be their focus. In the second round with their first pick, the Packers got CB Kevin King. He had lots of first round potential, and they got him with the first pick of the second round. The Packers secondary needed some help, and King is going to improve the secondary a lot. The rest of the players seem to be depth players who might see the field, but aren’t day one starters. One other player though, WR Malachi Dupre, could see the field more than the rest if he reaches his potential. The Packers were able to get him in the seventh round even though he was projected much higher. Picks like these are great for the Packers, but in the future offensive help, especially WR, should be focused on more.

Minnesota Vikings
Draft picks: Dalvin Cook (No. 41 overall), Pat Elflein (No. 70 overall), Jaleel Johnson (No. 109 overall), Ben Gedeon (No. 120 overall), Rodney Adams (No. 170 overall), Danny Isidora (No. 180 overall), Bucky Hodges (No. 201 overall), Stacy Coley (No. 219 overall), Ifeadi Odenigbo (No. 220 overall), Elijah Lee (No. 232 overall), Jack Tocho (No. 245 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Vikings had a very good draft this year, working on both sides of the ball. With their first pick, a second round pick, the Vikings hope to have their replacement for Adrian Peterson in the form of RB Dalvin Cook. A very talented running back who many thought would go in the first round, he fell to the second round. Dalvin Cook did have off-field issues in college and trouble blocking on pass plays. However, his issues shouldn’t hold him back from being an early candidate for rookie of the year if he fixes some of his game, such as pass blocking. Next the Vikings got OL Pat Elflein, a guy who can play center and both guard positions. Elflein has the potential to play a long time in the league and was a great pick for the
Vikings. Additionally, DT Jaleel Johnson, who is a big run stuffer,could fight to get some reps early on in the year. Overall, very good draft class from the Vikings, addressing many important needs.

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Draft picks: Takkarist McKinley (No. 26 overall), Duke Riley (No. 75 overall), Sean Harlow (No. 136 overall), Damontae Kazee (No. 149 overall), Brian Hill (No. 156 overall), Eric Saubert (No. 174 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Falcons added to an already stacked defense, and brought in a little help for reigning MVP Matt Ryan. In the first round they got Takkarist McKinley, who is one of the most motivated players in the draft. He is has explosive speed at the DE position, and will be a tremendous help to the Falcons defense, that is already one of the best in the league. Next they got LB Duke Riley, who has talent, but many question his ceiling because he only started one year in College. The Falcons also got OG Sean Harlow, who was desperately needed for this Falcons team that let Matt Ryan get sacked the fifth most in the league. The Falcons needed this pick, and this should really help them. Overall a very solid draft, with other players like CB Damontae Kazee who should help improve the CB corps that the Falcons have.

Carolina Panthers
Draft picks: Christian McCaffrey (No. 8 overall), Curtis Samuel (No. 40 overall), Taylor Moton (No. 64 overall), Daeshon Hall (No. 77 overall), Corn Elder (No. 152 overall), Alex Arma (No. 192 overall), Harrison Butker (No. 233 overall)
Draft Grade: B-
Draft Analysis: This draft was all about getting players to play around Cam Newton, as well as getting CBs. Obtaining players to play around Cam Newton was definitely the success of this draft. RB Christian McCaffrey, who is great running, catching, and returning, should be a welcome addition for Cam Newton. McCaffrey’s impact will be felt right away, and the offense will improve as a result of his presence. Next the Panthers got WR Curtis Samuel, who will also be an athletic player to play alongside Kelvin Benjamin. Past these two players, no one else stands out as true improvements to the Panthers, and the Panthers still have holes in their roster, that need to be filled if they wish to have more success.

New Orleans Saints
Draft picks: Marshon Lattimore (No. 11 overall), Ryan Ramczyk (No. 32 overall), Marcus Williams (No. 42 overall), Alvin Kamara (No. 67 overall), Alex Anzalone (No. 76 overall), Trey Hendrickson (No. 103 overall), Al-Quadin Muhammad (No. 196 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Saints had a really good draft, but they did give up a twenty-three year old WR who is definitely worth more than the 32nd overall pick. Had the Saints not traded Brandin Cooks, the grade would’ve been a B+ to A- draft, but they did trade Cooks, and now here we are. CB Marshon Lattimore is going to be really helpful for the Saints, who have a CB drought at the moment. He is very talented and can contribute right away for this team. Next OT Ryan Ramczyk, who is very talented, and will also be a day one starter. If the Saints want to extend QB Drew Brees’ career, keeping him on his feet will certainly help. S Marcus Williams is going to certainly help out the horrific Saints secondary. Past that the picks seemed to be as depth or players of the future, such as RB Alvin Kamara who has lots of talent, but the Saints already have two starters ahead of him. As I said before, great draft, but giving up Brandin Cooks is what brings the grade down.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Draft picks: O.J. Howard (No. 19 overall), Justin Evans (No. 50 overall), Chris Godwin (No. 84 overall), Kendell Beckwith (No. 107 overall), Jeremy McNichols (No. 162 overall), Stevie Tu’ikolavatu (No. 223 overall)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: Outstanding draft by the Buccaneers, that included even more talent on both sides of the ball. First the Buccaneers got the most talented TE in the draft, and one of the best players in the draft at number nineteen in O.J. Howard. Howard has lots of skill, a TE who can catch and block the run, and has real potential to be a really good TE. Pairing him with young QB Jameis Winston only improves this pick. Next they got S Justin Evans, who has the chance to be starting for the Buccaneers. Evans is going to improve the young talented secondary that the Buccaneers have been building. Then the Buccaneers drafted WR Chris Godwin, who is very talented, and has lots of production at Penn. St. He is going to make lots of plays early on, catching passes from Jameis Winston. Overall great draft from the Buccaneers who got really talented players as well as some depth pieces.

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Draft picks: Haason Reddick (No. 13 overall), Budda Baker (No. 36 overall), Chad Williams (No. 98 overall), Dorian Johnson (No. 115 overall), Will Holden (No. 157 overall), T.J. Logan (No. 179 overall), Rudy Ford (No. 208 overall)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: Very good draft by the Cardinals, adding some talented players on both sides of the ball, and addressing their team needs very well. LB Haason Reddick is one of the toughest players in the draft. He went from a walk-on, who was asked to leave the team, at Temple to the thirteenth overall pick, and that resilience is going to help the Cardinals defense tremendously. Next the Cardinals drafted S Budda Baker, who was part of an excellent secondary and college, and should be a great strong safety for the Cardinals. The Cardinals also drafted OG Dorian Johnson, who will be a day one starter because the Cardinals offensive line is horrendous. Overall the Cardinals attacked their team needs this draft, and added some very talented players.

Los Angeles Rams
Draft picks: Gerald Everett (No. 44 overall), Cooper Kupp (No. 69 overall), John Johnson (No. 91 overall), Josh Reynolds (No. 117 overall), Samson Ebukam (No. 125 overall), Tanzel Smart (No. 189 overall), Sam Rogers (No. 206 overall), Ejuan Price (No. 234 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: The Los Angeles Rams went right to work to put pieces around sophomore QB Jared Goff. Unfortunately, it is harder to rebuild without your own first round pick, and the Rams traded it away to take Goff last year. However, the Rams did a very good job to pick some talented players. TE Gerald Everett has real potential and will be a red zone target for the Rams right away. If Everett can work on some of the things that made him fall in the draft, he has real potential, which is exactly what the Rams needed. Next the Rams took one of the most underrated WRs in the draft in Cooper Kupp. Kupp has lots of skill, and is an excellent route runner. He should start in the slot for the Rams, but could be the WR number one very soon. Past that the draft was very solid, and despite not having a first round pick the Rams improved a lot.

San Francisco 49ers
Draft picks: Solomon Thomas (No. 3 overall), Reuben Foster (No. 31 overall), Ahkello Witherspoon (No. 66 overall), C.J. Beathard (No. 104 overall), Joe Williams (No. 121 overall), George Kittle (No. 146 overall), Trent Taylor (No. 177 overall), D.J. Jones (No. 198 overall), Pita Taumoepenu (No. 202 overall), Adrian Colbert (No. 229 overall)
Draft Grade: A-
Draft Analysis: The 49ers pulled off highway robbery by taking multiple picks from the Bears to move down only one spot, and take the player they were going to take before. DE Solomon Thomas is a versatile pass rusher who adds to an already stacked young defensive line. Then the 49ers got possibly the top LB in the draft, who was projected to go in the early first round, and he fell to #31. He is a very talented player, that will knock you over if you try to run through him, but injury concerns, as well as character concerns could stop him from reaching Pro-Bowl potential. The 49ers drafted many other depth pieces, such as TE George Kittle, who is going to help new coach Kyle Shanahan run the two TE offense he wants to run in San Francisco. Very good draft class for the 49ers that is made even better by the fact they stole from the Chicago Bears.

Seattle Seahawks
Draft picks: Malik McDowell (No. 35 overall), Ethan Pocic (No. 58 overall), Shaquill Griffin (No. 90 overall), Delano Hill (No. 95 overall), Nazair Jones (No. 102 overall), Amara Darboh (No. 106 overall), Tedric Thompson (No. 111 overall), Michael Tyson (No. 187 overall), Justin Senior (No. 210 overall), David Moore (No. 226 overall), Christopher Carson (No. 249 overall)
Draft Grade: B
Draft Analysis: Very solid draft by the Seattle Seahawks adding good players on both sides of the ball. DT Malik McDowell is a very talented player, who was projected to get picked in the first round, and the Seahawks got him in the second round. He should develop into a really good player for the Seahawks. Next they drafted C Ethan Pocic, which was desperately needed. The Seahawks offensive line hasn’t been the same without C Max Unger, and adding Pocic is going to help improve their line. Past that this draft class was filled with players that can move up the depth chart for the Seahawks, and have an impact for a team that is already contending every year. Very solid draft from the Seattle Seahawks.