The student news site of Terra Linda High School

The Voice of Troy

Boys’ Tennis Overview

Gordon Gebauer, Contributor

2017 welcomed back the Terra Linda High School Boys Tennis team. After not having a team the previous year, Head Coach Craig Eldred looked to resurrect the program. With a solid core of senior leaders such as Luca Kushner, Vinnie Sagastume, Eddy Mazariegos, Nathan Kertz, and Ben Hunter, the team was in good hands. They ended the season with a record of 2-12.

“I definitely think we brought a whole new vibe to this program. With our determination and leadership, I feel like we were able to accomplish a lot of things,” said Hunter, when asked about what the seniors brought to the program.

Although they did not have the greatest season, the Trojans were able to win a few matches due to the phenomenal play from their two star players: Eddy Mazariegos and Jonathan Hoang. “Every time we got out there, our main goal was to just keep hitting the ball to the other side of the court. I feel like we were able to achieve this with our effort on the tennis court. I think Jonathan and I bring a lot to the table for our team. Also our captains Luca Kushner and Vinnie Sagastume really brought that intensity to practice,” said Mazariegos.

The two senior leaders, Luca Kushner and Vinnie Sagastume, dedicated themselves to moving this program in the right direction. Even though they may not be physically on the team when the Trojans return to greatness, they will always be the foundation of this program.

“Vinnie just brought a smile to practice every single day. It didn’t matter if we were coming off of a loss or not, he never got down on himself. Luca also did a tremendous job as a leader, he was always guiding us in the right direction,” said Kertz.

With a lot of freshmen returning next year, the program looks to build off of what they started with the seniors this year. It is unclear at this point as to who will fill in the numerous open roles of the team now. However, Jonathan Hoang will be a huge key to the Trojans’ success next year.